Respondus Lock Down Browser is now available for use with tests, quizzes, and exams in Canvas.
What is Lock Down Browser?
Respondus LockDown Browser is a custom browser that locks down the testing environment within Blackboard, ANGEL, Desire2Learn, Canvas, Moodle, and Sakai. When students use Respondus LockDown Browser they are unable to print, copy, go to another URL, or access other applications. When an assessment is started, students are locked into it until they submit it for grading.
- Assessments are displayed full-screen and cannot be minimized
- Assessments cannot be exited until submitted by users for grading
- Task switching or access to other applications is prevented
- Print, Print Screen and capturing functions are disabled
- Copying and pasting anything to and from an assessment is prohibited
- Screen capture, messaging, screen-sharing, virtual machine, and network monitoring applications are blocked from running
- Right-click menu options and function keys are disabled
- Browser menu and toolbar options are disabled, except for Back, Forward, Refresh and Stop
How do I enable this in Canvas?
Follow this tutorial to enable Lock Down browser in Canvas.
How do my students install Lock Down Browser?
Provide your students with this information and installation tutorial. One step in the directions indicates that the institution will provide a link for the download, direct students to this Respondus Download Link. If they get stuck at any point in the process, they can contact the USF IT Help Desk at 813-974-1222.
Accessibility Note: Lock Down Browser renders a test inaccessible to students with disabilities who use certain assistive technologies. If you have a student with a disability in your course, be sure to let them know about the use of this product so they will have that information as they work with Student Disability Services to arrange accommodations.