Below are the steps to upload grades using an Excel spreadsheet into the Canvas Grade Center. This is a feature that many instructors made use of in Blackboard, and will be glad to know that it is still available and easy to do.
This tutorial is broken into three parts:
- Structuring your spreadsheet
- Saving your Excel file as a .csv
- Uploading the spreadsheet into Canvas
Part 1: Structuring your Spreadsheet
This image displays the correct way to set up your spreadsheet so that it will import correctly into the Canvas Grade Center.
Columns that must be present include “Student,” “ID,” “SIS User ID,” “SIS Login ID,” and any existing assignments. You can create columns for new assignments just by adding a column to your spreadsheet in Excel.
Regarding the important information in the first several columns, it may be easier to just download the spreadsheet from the Canvas Grade Center, open the file in Excel, make your updates, and then reupload the file.
If you would like to work directly from the downloaded spreadsheet, refer to Part 3, Step 2 of this tutorial. The option to download the .csv file is listed directly above the option to upload a .csv file in the Grade Center settings menu.
Part 2: Saving Your Excel File
1. Click the File Tab (or File Menu if using and older version of Microsoft Office)
2. Click “Save As”
3. The Save As Window will appear, click the down arrow to open the menu for “Save as type:”
4. Select “Comma Separated Values (.csv)” from the menu
1. Click “Grades” on the left course navigation menu
6. Cross check a few rows with your original file to be sure that all grades imported to the correct spot.